Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm A Social Nudist


I am a social nudist. Basically, this means that I am a man who enjoys living life engaging in activities free from clothes: naked. That's the simplistic definition or the bottom line. Unfortunately, like most things in life, it's all more complex than what it appears on the surface. Without getting too technical and confusing, I'll keep it as brief as possible while trying to give you a clear idea of what I'm about.

Most people understand the labels naturist and nudist to be the same. The reality is that the definitions and opinions are as diverse as the numbers of people identifying as such. Personally, I think of nudists as those who view nudity as a social interaction. Nudism is to be experienced with family or friends at home, at private or public events (including athletics) and at nude beaches/resorts or clothing-optional facilities. Naturists, on the other hand, are those who view nudity as a way of life, a healthy lifestyle, living clothes-free and embracing the concept of being nude, which is perfectly natural, and the rest of nature. Nudism is a way of living (naked) whereas naturism is a practical philosophy (lifestyle) and worldview.

That;s the theoretical version. As for me (and I am not alone),  I'm much less a linguist and by no means a purist. I use naturism/nudism and naturist/nudist interchangeably and consider myself both. One term doesn't appeal to me over the other; however, I acknowledge the fact that others do value the difference and I respect their preference. Once again, like everything else in life, it's all about perspective and how an individual chooses to self-identify.

I am a social naturist/nudist. I'd rather be nude in the company of others, no matter if they're clothed (textile) or naked. I'm human and most humans are social creatures, right? Naturists are no different. Even though I'm naked when home alone, I prefer nudity in a group or social environment, as do most nudists. Optimally, my communal situation is with my gay nudist brothers; however, I'm just as comfortable sharing my nakedness in a mixed gender activity. People are, after all, most relaxed when in the midst of others they perceive most like themselves; in my case, same gender loving men. But what's important to me is the freedom to be nude. Therefore, I'll welcome any opportunity that's presented, gay or heterosexual.

My own comfort level in any type of social setting is also determined by the heritage diversity of the folks within the crowd. I feel better being in a group with a variety of ethnicities and races. I like to look around and see the bodies and faces that reflect all of mankind, not just a select few. I was raised in a multiracial family and in a pluricultural neighborhood. The majority of my life experiences have been in the company of those who's skin tone is unlike my own. Personally, I feel discomfort when I find myself in an exclusively white-people-only situation. That's just not for me.

Respectfully,
Black Lover Naked

No comments: