Monday, July 9, 2012

Holiday Treat: Jumping The Broom

Jensen Atwood (L) and Darryl Stephens (R), stars of "Noah's Arc"
Logo TV's Noah's Arc was and probably will be, for many years to come, one of my all-time favorite TV series. The show was cancelled after only two seasons, and I plan a separate posting about the series later. The conclusion was a full-feature movie: Noah's Arc: Jumping The Broom. When it was released, I bought the DVD back in 2008; but, I never watched the movie. I was saving it for a "special day." Somehow, that day just didn't roll around until last week.

While spending the holiday at Sandy Hook, we discovered that Logo TV was broadcasting Noah's Arc: Jumping The Broom at 6:30 p.m. on July 4. The four of us decided that was worth us leaving the beach early and watching together. And we did. Yes, it was time well spent both in departing the beach and not seeing the live fireworks (not a biggie for me, I've never been a fireworks fan).


For me, it was a treat to watch the movie with my BF (he'd never seen it before, either). The fact that we'd both stayed current with the two seasons of the series meant that we didn't need to constantly explain plot nuances to each other. The couple that shared our room had seen the movie version before but enjoyed it again.

I realized, seeing the old characters perform again, how much I really did like this show. Yes, it was entertainment and not very realistic but it was fun and presented us with the opportunity to laugh at both ourselves and the intricacies of our gay culture. The movie, tying up the loose ends leftover from the series, offered us more of the same. In some ways, it was like revisiting old friends.

Jensen Atwood as Wade, the boyfriend, and Darryl Stephens as Noah, were an interesting couple on the screen. The actors portrayed their respective characters with honesty, originality and sincerity. Seeing this performance on the screen helped me bring some closure to the "friends" I was leaving behind, especially viewing the scenes with my BF and current friends. It was nice to know that, at least, on the world of TV-land, Noah and Wade were happy and together.

Sometimes, in real life, it takes the world of fantasy to guide us through the issues of our own lives.

Respectfully,
Black Lover Naked